Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Trader Joe's Vanilla Cake & Muffin Mix

For many years I have been searching for the perfect vanilla cupcake recipe. I have found recipes that had good flavor, nice texture, rise to the right height, and have a pretty appearance, but no recipe so far has had every quality I am looking for.  I had been reading good things about Trader Joe's Vanilla Cake & Muffin Mix on several blogs lately so I thought I should try it for myself.  I bought a mix and noted there are several variations of the recipe that can be made. I chose to make the cake version (the high altitude recipe of course). 

I love Trader Joe's...but I cannot recommend this mix to make cupcakes. It is totally tasteless and has a coarse texture that I don't like for a cupcake. I even added a fresh vanilla bean to the batter, but it still didn't help. I didn't taste any vanilla, even after the addition of the vanilla bean.

I will continue to shop at Trader Joe's...and I will continue my quest for the perfect vanilla cupcake.




No comments: