Saturday, June 12, 2010

Frosting vs. Icing

I have discussed this topic before, but recently have renewed interest in the issue.  Are the terms "frosting" and "icing" interchangeable?  Some believe they are....but maybe not. 

Frosting is usually thicker and creamier (like buttercream) and stays soft after it is applied to a cake or cupcake.  Icing is more fluid but after being applied to a cupcake, it dries and the appearance becomes more thin and hard.  Frosting is applied either by using a spatula or knife to make a mound over the cupcake. Icing is too hard to apply by using a spatula...it will just run off.

I think it is a regional thing.  "Icing" is more popular in Europe, and the term "frosting" is used more often in America, although where I am from in Mississippi, icing is the term used most often. 

Personally it doesn't matter to me which term is used....as long as the cupcake I am eating has tons of it on top!














2 comments:

Unknown said...

Honestly, I do use the terms interchangeably. Guilty!

Jo Lynne said...

As long as I get to lick the bowl...I don't care!