Sunday, July 4, 2010

Recipe of the Week - Raspberry Filling

Week 51

My signature cupcake is a Mexican chocolate cupcake with raspberry filling and white chocolate buttercream.  I have been purchasing raspberry filling from a bakery in Reno, but it takes me an hour each way to get there and I don't always have time if I get a last minute cupcake request.  So...I have been experimenting with raspberry fillings and have come up with a pretty good recipe. You could probably use this recipe with other berry fillings but I have not tried that yet.    Enjoy!






Raspberry Filling

2 - 12 ounce packages of frozen raspberries (not packed in syrup) 
1 1/3 cups water 
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 T lemon juice
6 T of cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup of water

In a saucepan combine the raspberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice.  Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the raspberries have broken down.Remove the mixture from the heat and strain with a fine mesh sieve.

Return the strained mixture to the heat.  Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water.  Whisk the slurry into the raspberry mixture.  Bring the mixture back to a boil and simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Remove from heat and cool completely, stirring every once in a while.  It will take awhile to set up and thicken like a jelly (I chill it overnight).  Makes 3 1/2 cups.

No comments: