Saturday, January 9, 2010

Carpe Cupcakes! meets the Julie/Julia Project

What does this post have to do with the cupcake universe?  Not much about cupcakes specifically, but a whole lot about blogging. 




I watched Julie & Julia last night and really liked the movie but was bothered at the end that no explanation was given for why Julia Child did not like Julie's blog.  Carpe Cupcakes! recently received a very negative comment so I can relate to Julie's being crushed that her idol didn't like her blog.  I believe in posting all comments - positive and negative - but it still stings when a reader expresses dislike for what you are doing.  In the spirit of blogging, I decided to try and find out more about Julie Powell, Julia Child, and The Julie/Julia Project

The Wikipedia definition of a personal blog is described as  "an ongoing diary or commentary by an individual and is the most common type of blog. Personal bloggers take pride in their blog posts, even if their blog is never read. Blogs often become more than a way to just communicate; they become a way to reflect on life, or works of art."

My career as an ER nurse was beginning its 30th year when I started Carpe Cupcakes!  My goal was to add something to the growing community of those who are passionate about cupcakes.  This blog chronicles my adventures with all things cupcake and my baking and decorating of cupcakes, which I do most often as a hobby and infrequently as a wedding cupcake business.  Julie Powell started her blog project because she felt her life had become boring and she wanted something meaningful to do.  Julia Child started cooking because she had moved to Paris with her husband and wanted something meaningful to do.

What is my point?  Blogs are individual journals filled with personal opinions and comments and may or may not contain facts.  You may or may not like what you read.  When I finished watching Julie & Julia I felt Julia Child's negative response to Julie's blog was unfair.  The movie portrayed Julie and her blog as a sweet attempt to cook through Julia Child's cookbook masterpiece Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  I spent this many hours reading Julie's blog and I now see Julia Child's point.  Julie's blog is filled with language that many would find offensive and she did not exactly follow the recipes.  Julie was probably not as respectful to the passion of learning French cooking as Julia would have wanted.  But...it is Julie's blog and it is her conversation about how she chose to cook her way through the recipes in her idol's cookbook. 

This blog is only six months old and I am still learning a lot about blogging...on the job training of sorts.  It contains my opinions and observations and I do not expect everyone to agree with what I have to say...especially about cream cheese frosting.  But I do thank all of you for joining me on this cupcake journey.

Bon Appetit!



No comments: