Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo!

In 1861, Mexico gained independence over Spain but in the process incurred heavy debt to England, Spain and France.  These countries demanded repayment.  Benito Juarez stopped making interest payments to countries to whom Mexico owed money. In response, France attacked Mexico to force payment of this debt. France was successful at first in its invasion.  However, on May 5, 1862, at the city of Puebla, Mexican forces were able to defeat the larger French army.  Since the Battle of Puebla, no country in the Americas has been invaded by an army from another continent.

In Mexico, the celebration of Cinco de Mayo is a regional holiday, mostly in the state of Puebla.  In the United States, Cinco de Mayo has become a festival to celebrate the food, music and culture of Mexico. 


[ Photos removed from this blog entry April 25, 2011]


4 comments:

Matthew said...

Please remove my photo from your blog entry. Thank you.

Lundy said...

Matthew - I could not identify which photo was yours from the information given so I have removed all photos from this blog entry. I apologize if I offended you in any way.

Matthew said...

I provided my url -- (visible through my name) which was the prefix to the photo in question. Hopefully that helps -- so that you can re-add the other photos to your post. I apologize for not being more clear in my request.

Lundy said...

Thanks for the additional info Matthew.