Friday, July 24, 2009

High Altitude Cupcakes

I tried a new cupcake recipe yesterday, which always comes with a little anxiety at my Lake Tahoe altitude of 6900 ft. About halfway through the baking process I started to get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach...which was followed by the actual sinking of the centers of the cupcakes. The good news is that the cupcakes tasted really good - despite the craters. Not even a ton of frosting could fill up those sinkholes so I ate the batter and threw the cupcakes away.

High altitude baking has many challenges and there are many resources available online. Here is the one I use the most:

High Altitude Baking: 200 Delicious Recipes & Tips for Perfect High Altitude Cookies, Cakes, Breads & More
Patricia Kendall - Colorado State University Cooperative Extension




No comments: