Thursday, July 16, 2009

How to Frost a Red Velvet Cupcake

As you have read in previous posts, I am from Mississippi. If you go to any southern home on a holiday, you will likely find a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. The only acceptable alternative would be a seven-minute frosting, which is actually just spreadable Divinity candy.

I had heard rumors about a type of frosting for red velvet cake made from boiled milk and flour (a butter roux) so I decided to make a batch last weekend...and I could not throw it out fast enough. What are these people thinking?? The butter roux was not sweet and left a "furry" feeling on my teeth - but mostly it was just not sweet. Why eat icing if you aren't going to raise your blood sugar to dangerous levels?

The red velvet cupcake with cream cheese icing is a southern tradition...please respect it.

1 comment:

Lola said...

I love your blog! Very informative. Thanks. There is another frosting for red velvet and its called "mock cream frosting" - the version my family (northern) used did not use a roux and needed to be beaten for several minutes (a really long time). But I have lost my recipe and have to try to contact some relatives to find it. {sign}

Lola (from Lola Bakes) http://blog.lolabakes.com/