Monday, September 13, 2010

Project Food Blog - Challenge # 1

Sometimes the journey is the destination…

My blog is a journey through the cupcake universe. My initial goal was to carefully design a series of spontaneous cupcake adventures and write about them, but the project morphed into much more than that. I don’t blog to acquire a certain number of readers or to be linked to other sites. I blog about cupcakes because I love cupcakes. I am flattered and encouraged when readers take the time to comment on what I write, because my blog is about learning, sharing and interacting with others.

Participating in challenges to choose the next food blog star…put me in coach! No professional culinary training. Never been published. But what I lack in culinary arts and writing skills, I make up for with passion for my topic. I want what I write to resemble a conversation between two friends having coffee in the kitchen. I have outstanding cupcake days and not so successful ones, and I will share them all.  Project Food Blog is a little bit like American Idol or Survivor for food bloggers and my goal is to not get voted off the island the very first week. None of the challenges involves cupcakes, but I will hang on as long as I can!


So how did I decide to blog about cupcakes? A friend of mine makes fabulous wedding cakes but hates to make cupcakes. She got an order for wedding cupcakes and didn’t want to make them so she called me. I made 200 cupcakes, decorated them with fresh roses and displayed them on a metal plant stand that looked like a tree. I started getting calls for recipes and tips for displaying cupcakes. The rest may or may not be cupcake history.

A major inspiration for me as a food blogger is that I love how food is connected to memories…holidays, special events, family celebrations. My mom’s carrot cake at Thanksgiving, my uncle’s mincemeat pie (yuck!) at Christmas, my grandmother’s biscuits every day of the week (made with lard but oh so good), my aunt’s chocolate cake with seven-minute frosting (birthdays), and our neighbor's canned Coca-Cola ham for Easter. No matter what the food is or how much we like or dislike it, we associate it with the people in our lives and special times we have shared. Every family should create a cookbook of their own recipes (the destination) and make notes about how those recipes became traditions (the journey)...and of course every family tradition should include cupcakes!

Carpe Cupcakes! ya’ll….


cupcake art by P Davis Designs
Payton Davis (my niece)


the first wedding cupcakes by
Carpe Cupcakes!


tie-dyed cupcake batter


giant birthday cupcake


gingerbread cupcakes


flowerpot cupcakes

16 comments:

Sippity Sup said...

I came here to check out the competition. Lo and behold...posting cupcakes is like entering children and puppies! You are sure to win! Good Luck GREG

Lundy said...

Greg - I have been checking out the competition too & I think we are in for a wild ride. My blogging experience involves only one food item, so I am going to have to stretch my writing skills!

Evan @swEEts said...

I just discovered your blog while browsing others.. and I love it! :) I have a love of cupcakes as well and yours are so cute!! I just did some flowerpot cupcakes myself.. so fun! Good luck with the competition- we've got some great competitors!!

Lundy said...

Glad you found the blog! The cupcake universe can never have too many inhabitants.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your life. I look forward to reading more. I will be posting my project food buzz entry tomorrow. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Ashlee
www.ashandlewplus2.com

Lundy said...

Thank you for your kind words. I can't wait to read your PFB entry. I am starting to read them all...it is going to take me all week!

Megan @ Foodalution said...

Super cute! You are quite talented in the cupcake department! love it! - Megan and best of luck with PFB!

Lundy said...

Thanks Megan...voting for PFB starts tomorrow and I am going to plan for the next challenge just in case I make the next round!

Becky said...

I love cupcakes, too. Glad that I found your blog. Good luck in the competition!

Jo Lynne @ Carpe Cupcakes! said...

Thanks Becky...there are some talented bloggers out there. I am reading all of the entries.

Reeni said...

Your cupcakes are gorgeous! Love the gingerbread ones. Good luck!

the country cook said...

Oh those are just too cute. How are we supposed to compete with cupcakes? :-) Giving you one of my votes... - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

Lindsay said...

Amazing cupcakes!! I just gave you a vote. You can check out my entry here: http://tinyurl.com/2ec2hlq Thanks and Good Luck!!

bhealthier said...

LOVE your blog name! I love your photos and cupcakes even more!

I voted for you too, good luck!

if you want to check my entry out its here: http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/583

Good Luck and I look forward to reading carpe cupcakes!

Steph said...

I love all your cupcakes! Your tie-dyed cupcakes are so creative. I've been wanting to do the colored batter for a while, but haven't gotten the opportunity to experiment with it yet. Best of luck. :)

Lundy said...

Thanks to everyone for sending some cupcake love & encouragement!