Friday, November 13, 2009

Cupcakes in Sudan!

Sudan is a huge country in Africa so I can't say for sure....but I think I have photos of the first cupcakes ever made in Sudan.  My husband Bo is currently working at Mother of Mercy Hospital in Gidel, a remote village in southern Sudan.  I sent a pumpkin cupcake mix and tub of applesauce with him so he could make cupcakes there.  The mix required one egg - a luxury item that I did not expect him to be able to provide.  Thank you to the kitchen staff for sacrificing that egg!

The hospital kitchen has a wood-fired stove and the kitchen staff prepared the mix and baked the cupcakes.  I sent free-standing liners so no pan would be necessary.  The final product was a pumpkin cupcake with jam for icing...Sudanese cupcake success! 

Shukran (Arabic for "thank you") to the hospital kitchen staff for making the cupcakes and to Bo for photographing the process. 



















No comments: